The fourth installment of my question-and-answer video show, where I take up questions subscribers and commenters have asked me in my videos and answer them as best I can. Questions in this video:
(1) I’m guessing that you’re YouTube blog has exploded in popularity after the Going Clear documentary appeared on HBO this week, kudos to you for keeping this conversation going. I’m becoming obsessed, this unraveling is and will continue to be super fascinating! Question: The comment has been made online that Cults don’t often “end well”. Do you fear, or suspect that as this “Church aka Cult” goes over the cliff, that members will drink the proverbial Kool Aid, take up arms or (fill in the bad ending blank here).
(2) I’m a never-in and have a question for you. Some time ago I was contacted by Scientology trying to update their mailing list. I politely told the woman she had the wrong person and good bye. Then the harassment started. Calls at all hours, texts, etc. I scoured the blogs for information and advice. I finally just blocked numbers and didn’t answer any unknown calls. I also turned my phone off at night. Here’s the thing: I went from someone who didn’t have an opinion about Scientology (sure Tom Cruise is weird, but he’s also an actor and you expect a bit of oddity) to someone who now is working to eliminate a dangerous cult. So here is my question: Why didn’t Scientology go away when they had confirmation that they had the wrong person? By their own admission the person they were looking for was in another city.
(3) I’m a huge fan/follower of your YouTube channel. In your opinion, why aren’t the police or the FBI looking into Scientology’s torture claims more thoroughly or raiding the Gold Base and rescuing all the parishioners? And why aren’t ex-Scientologists that were physically abused by David Miscavige moving forward with assault and battery charges? I mean the government has task forces for anti-human trafficking and child abuse. Why do you feel Scientology and David Miscavige are so untouchable?
(4) I enjoy your YouTube channel. I’ve watched a lot of videos from you and other ex-Scientologists. I have many many questions…but here’s one for today. Can they enforce / have they enforced the so called “freeloader debt”? Is that something they use to scare people thinking about leaving? Or have they ever actually taken someone to court to recover these alleged debts? If so, has a judge or jury (of non-Scientologists) ever awarded the Church money from ex-parishoners? And can a “billion year” religious contract be enforced?
(5) Great videos, Chris. I often think that the dismantling of the church will be achieved not by anger but by kindness. Your unique brand of thoughtfulness and charity is an inspiration.Here’s a question for you: If Hubbard were to return to planet Earth today, what do you think he would make of the church’s current state? What changes, if any, do you think he would make? And what would be the first thing he would say to David Miscavige?