The latest in my ongoing series where I answer questions left for me in the comments section of my Q&A videos or sent to me by email at AskChrisShelton@gmail.com. This week the questions I take up are:
(1) I had good friends in the Sea Org. After I left, it was impossible to have any contact with them anymore. Many of them would be getting on in age now so my question is what do they do with Sea Org members who become an assisted care problem, or for some reason is too old to be of use? I know they off-load them, but surely they don’t just kick them to the street, as that would be bad PR. What public assistance would these guys be able to get after a life of almost no wages nor Social Security? What happens to them?
(2) I became fascinated with Scientology about 8 years ago. My brother took a few courses in Orange County in the early 80’s when he was about 20 years old and still living with my parents. Twenty years later, my brother and I grew up, married, had families, etc. Our dad was sick so I had his mail forwarded to my house. Next thing I knew, on a regular basis, mail, flyers, full color
magazines and pamphlets began flooding my mail box, all addressed to my brother. I knew enough to not contact the Church of Scientology because I’d heard horror stories from friends.
I moved to a new home in 2007. My home phone number is not listed but one day, my landline rang and the caller ID said Church of Scientology. I usually ignore calls, but answered this one. The person asked for my brother. I yelled at the guy that he was creepy for calling me since my brother and I haven’t lived in the same house since we were kids. I told him that my number was registered with donotcall.org and that I wasn’t interested in his cult. He laughed wryly, I hung up.
Here’s my question: WTF? How did they manage to get my phone number and why would they even bother? Do they get any people to return this way? What a colossal waste of time and resources. Pretty horrible PR, right?
(3) Okay, so, if Scientology shuts down tomorrow, just goes bankrupt and ruined and completely gone, are you worried that someone would leak PC folders? Would there be legal boundaries or protections to prevent such leaking?
(4) Chris, why can’t members see that “COB” isn’t trying to bring new people into the Church? Do they truly not see that the buildings are getting bigger, but not anything beyond that is being done? They have to realize that there is no real push to expand Church of Scientology. Also, does Dork on Cults go by COB to be more like LRH?
(5) Why is it that most in Scientology feel like they have all the answers to life, more so than the rest of us? Thank you.
(6) Thank you so much for the highly important effort you put into your channel! I love watching your videos. My question is this: I’ve heard a lot about the poor conditions and harsh treatment experienced by Sea Org members, for example in Flag or Int or Saint Hill etc. I’ve read about the limits on having a cell phone, a car, watching TV, keeping a passport and so on; but what about Sea Org members who occupy certain positions in local orgs? I’ve met some of them and they have cell phones, Facebook pages and some use cars. Does that mean that these Sea Org members have it better then those at higher orgs? Are they treated less harshly? Are they too sleep and food deprived and have heaps of pressure?
(7) Over the course of your career in the Sea Org, how much of your typical week or month involved indoctrination activities as opposed to working on projects? In other words, how frequent were group meetings, video screenings, or other activities designed to solidify your loyalty to the cause, the group identity, LRH or Miscavige? Was the volume of indoctrination fairly constant over the years or were there periods of greater intensity?
(8) Chris, what do you think of one who enters Scientology now to get the benefit of the lower end of the Bridge (and bail before it gets kooky and expensive)? Thanks!
(9) Hi Chris. When I listen to your videos you create the impression of being a person that is extremely well educated, with a useful knowledge of many subjects. You don’t sound at all like a robot that has been sheltered from reality for years in the fantasy world of LRH’s nonsense. In a recent video you quoted H. L. Mencken. I’d be surprised if anyone else in the Scientology world has even heard of the man.You also recommended The Demon Haunted World. I can’t imagine anyone actively in the Sea Org discovering that such a book exists, much less reading it. Your videos are succinct and clear. There is no hint of Scientology jargon. How did you acquire such an abundant vocabulary and learn to use it so well? What was your education and experience before joining Scientology? Have you simply voraciously consumed scientific and skeptical material since leaving Scientology, or did you have a scientific background that was always in the “background” even when you were in Scientology? I’m curious about this because you sound so level headed today that is seems impossible that you (the only “you” that I’ve encountered) could have stuck around in Scientology for more than about 2 days before saying, “This is a load of crap, and I am out of here!“