The weekly show where I answer viewer’s questions. This week, the questions I answer are:
(1) You mentioned that you were very disappointed and pissed about the OT material when you read about it on the internet. Do you think you would have reacted differently if you were still in the CoS and maybe bought into it like the rest of the stuff you “learned” all the years before? And another thing I’m curious about is, why did you not do the OT stuff during your time at CoS. It seems like it is not very common that people “study” OT.
(2) A Scientologist claimed that Dianetics had cured her mother-in-law’s arthritis in 1950. What is your response to claims that Scientology benefits some people who have “wins”?
(3) Chris, your videos are an excellent resource, particularly your fine-grained accounts of life on staff and in the Sea Org. My question is about the nature of relationships developed between devoted Scientologists, including public, staff and Sea Org members. On one hand, there is a culture of confidentiality and “snitching” that, it seems, severely inhibits honest communication between people, even longtime friends or married couples. On the other hand, there are aspects of Scientology that seem like they would tend to create close bonds: the long hours, separation from the culture at large (especially in the SO), belief in an all-important shared cause and the fight against powerful enemies. Do you have any thoughts (or examples) about the ways this apparently contradictory state of affairs plays out?
(4) Regarding Xenu’s place in Scientology: If you look at the narrative of Incident II, it becomes apparent that without Xenu there are no masses of body thetans wandering Earth to cause problems, and therefore no reason to do anything at all to clear them, which is the stated goal of auditing at OT III+, and even in the PC levels (you’re just not told about it). It seems without Xenu, his DC-8 space planes, his H-Bombs and super colossal 3D motion pictures there would be no reason for Scientology to exist in the first place. Why do Scientologists, if they answer at all, state that Xenu and space opera are very small parts of the practice? (Of course the obvious answer is, “they’re lying,” but I mean rationalizing the answer within the context of the practice.)
(5) Hi Chris! I was wondering if you have seen or heard of anyone leaving Scientology due to seeing the documentary Going Clear?
(6) I have helped other people run away from various situations including leaving other cults. I have found myself wondering lately if there is some sort of “Underground Railroad” set up for Scientologists. I know there is a frequent Clearwater protestor who holds a sign with a national hotline on it specifically for Sea Org members, and if I recall correctly it is linked to the FBI? So do you know about any sort of network like that, and if so, can you teach me the secret knock/password/mating dance one would need to do to indicate interest?
(7) Would you say Miscavige is trying for the smallest manageable number of members with the largest financial benefit? Even with an average Christian church a split becomes more likely the larger the congregation grows. The difference being that no one denomination has a copyright on the Bible. So even if nothing else changes L. Ron Hubbard’s writings will become public domain in 2056. Then any schmo can open up a COS branch.
(8) Did you have any interaction with David Miscavige? and if so , how did it go?
(9) Probably a really dumb question, but why bother expanding your spiritual horizons? What’s the point? Work to get a job that gives you fulfillment, try to get along with your fellow man, and enjoy yourself without hurting others. What else is there?
(10) My question is about the scientology consulting businesses that are out there scamming unsuspecting dentists and chiropractors. Many are so devoted to Scientology that their business are actually failing. I have had some exposure to this and it is alarming how many of them are so arrogant. They are all desparate to make money for the cause. The two male dentists that I met were very mean to their wives. Can you fill me in on why so many dentists and chiropractors get sucked in? Thanks!
(11) Hey Chris, I have a question for your next Q&A about Transgenders in Scientology. What would happen f.e. if a Transgender woman starts with Scientology without mentioning it before Auditing. Would they kick those people out of the church or would they try to “cure” them like they “do” with gay people. Thanks and cheers from Germany.