The weekly show where I answer questions from viewers or those sent in by email to AskChrisShelon@gmail.com. This week, the questions I take up are:
(1) How is it possible to have a job and a life outside of the COS and yet still be in? I get it if you live on the premises and your whole life is about the COS. But if you live at home and have internet and everything, I don’t get how one would be sucked in to the thing. Wouldn’t you be in a state of cognitive dissonance all the time?
(2) David Miscaviage (or the Space Pope, as I like to call him) has proven himself to be a potentially dangerous person, imprisoning people, beating his staff, willing to let his own father die. If and when Scientology hits an iceberg and it becomes obvious that the whole thing is going to come down, do you think the Space Pope could possibly decide to take as many people down with him as he can? I don’t mean throwing people under the bus; I mean do you think he could, God forbid, order people to be killed? It’s an extremely unpleasant thought, but he is a violent and arrogant guy who is willing to hold onto power by any means necessary, and sometimes I’m genuinely concerned for the safety of outspoken critics such as yourself.
(3) I know that late in his life Hubbard was in hiding in California, trying to avoid possibly being arrested/indicted. At that point when he could only look out for himself, burdened further by declining physical health and severe paranoia, did he then give up on appointing a successor? Or do you think that since Scientology had always been more about his amassing a fortune than it had ever been about clearing the planet, that he had never planned on appointing a successor? I don’t know if anyone really knows the answer to this question, but since you are so well versed in this subject, can you offer us your take?
(4) Your recital of the poem (Joy of Creating) reminded me of something I’ve always wondered. Sorry if it’s come up before, but i’m a new subscriber. LRH produced volumes of writings, and the ex-Scientologists I’ve been exposed to seem to all have an uncanny ability to recall and recite much – if not all – of it. Can you give a specific example of the process one would go through where the end result is having these words forever committed to memory? Was that poem part of a class? How were you introduced to it? What did the exercise/s consist of, and how would you have performed the steps??
(5) At about the 12 minute mark [in Critical Q&A #31] you talk about how $cinos who have committed crimes should be dealt with in a court of law. Do you believe this to be true for former members, like Marty Rathbun or Mike Rinder? They participated in stalking and coercion when they were in, but are different people now.?
(6) Why do you think the church never lashed out at Saturday Night Live for their brilliant parody of the “We Stand Tall” video featured in Going Clear? They knew they were being made fun of, and I expected and hoped that the church would respond with some of their usual idiotic press releases. It would have provided SNL with a full season’s worth of material. Thank you for your time.
(7) In your answer about spirituality you talked about a lot of points, I just wanted to know if you still believe in after life, with that I mean recurrent lives (like in COS) but also reincarnation with out knowing (Eastern).
(8) Question for you… I’m finding that your videos and other critics have ads for the COS in the beginning. This especially happens when I watch via my smart phone. Is this a COS or YouTube thing. I always find it funny that the COS is advertising on its critics videos. Or is it part of an evil plan….????
(9) I’ve noticed former Sea Org members, like yourself, grow beards when they get out. Is/was facial hair banned in Scientology??
(10) Hey good video. I kid you not I mentioned Scientology at my workplace this week and immediately a guy said that it was insane, so did another coworker. How many in the hierarchy of Scientology know how much of a pathetic joke the public views it as?