The weekly show where I answer questions from viewers in the comments of my Q&A videos or by email at AskChrisShelton@gmail.com. This week, the questions I take up are:
(1) My question has to do with the comments that you have made throughout you Q&A sessions about COS. In particular with the downfall of the COS. I think that the only way to have any hope of a real (soon) solution is to have the FBI/CIA/HS raid Big Blue, CC, Gold, Flag, Freewinds (hard, int waters) and CST at the same time and get all the evidence at once to make any impact. What do you think about this and what advice do you have so any potential law/department if they want to really do something about COS?
(2) I never knew that the method of rote memorization you described was a) called “Chinese school”, b) a cult technique or c) foreign to most people. I was taught that way in school for everything from grammar lists (prepositions, being verbs, etc.) to Bible verses. I went to a fundamental Christian school which taught a lot of propaganda-like theories which I always questioned (and received negative responses for doing). It has always confused me that my teachers were so defensive and refused to discuss doctrines of other faiths. It shows an insecurity in one’s own faith to turn a blind eye to different opinions. Do you think that insecurity in belief could be one reason why Scientologists are so closed-minded? In your experience, is there something that can be done to help someone so engrossed in any one way of thinking to learn to think critically??
(3) Chris, what are your thoughts on hate groups such as the KKK and the Westboro Baptist Church? I definitely wouldn’t say the people in those groups are critical thinkers by any stretch, but I’d like to hear what you think. What do you think drives such groups to hate who they hate? Is it confirmation bias? Could it be conspiracy theory oriented? Is it scapegoating? Is it something else entirely?
(4) Hi Chris, thanks for your great videos. I’d be interested in hearing more specifics about how you got into critical thinking. You’ve said that you started reading Carl Sagan, but I’d be interested in the moment (if you remember it) that you began to know that you lacked critical thinking skills (or weren’t using them). Did you read a blog post somewhere where someone mentioned that they had learned to think critically by reading authors such as Carl Sagan? Did you go to a lecture where someone talked about the need to develop critical thinking or what? Thanks!?
(5) I have noticed that many of those in Scientology promos have Russian accents. Are Russians joining Scientology so that they can come to the US? Is Scientology engaging in immigration fraud?
(6) Greetings Mr. Shelton. I remembered something this week that you might be able to shed some light on. About twelve years ago, I lived in a major metropolitan area here in Texas and listen to an FM talk station practically nonstop. The weekend programing was usually low quality quest hosted shows. One Sunday late in the evening I actually heard a Scientology talk show. I’m not kidding here, they said they where Scientologists speaking about Scientology. They even had some callers. I do remember them talking about “life traumas.” The one example of a trauma that I do remember the female host talking about was an expecting mother running into a door know or wall by accident would cause a trauma for the fetus inside of her. This “trauma” could then be dealt with in Scientology. Bear in mind that I only heard this show once that one Sunday. After that I never heard the show again and I remained a listener of that station for some time. My questions are these: Do you know about stuff like this going during your tenure in Scientology? If you did know how involved where you? If this stuff still goes on, what other types of media are Scientologists involved with?
(7) May the Force be with you! A question: do you think that there is some ‘inner circle’ of Scientologists around David Miscavige who are in on Scientology being a money making scam and willingly work for/collaborate with him to bilk the true believers, or do you think he is more of a lone operator? From what I know of the man, he does not seem like the kind who play well with others, but what I know is limited.
(8) Do you plan a movie review on the new Star wars soon?
(9) What do Scientologists think about killing animals for human consumption? I believe that most animals are slaughtered by people that aren’t involved in the church, so wouldn’t it be considered as “wog food” to Scientologists? Maybe a stupid question, but isn’t it “unhealthy” for a Scientologists to eat an animal which hasn’t reached the state of “clear”? As the animal is suffering and is being traumatized before/while being killed?
(10) I’ve been wondering if anybody has heard DM make any comments about the “Going Clear” book/film? Also, do you think that he’s probably a complete psychopath?